In our case study, lets see what a predecessor to me did using Plone and a lot of Five:
- Extended the ATEvent type.
- Created a view using portal_catalog. This creates an object which calls another object which calls a specific function to grab relevant data from each brain object and place that data in a dictionary.
- Made the view, 2 objects and functions bolded above not as extensions as other bits that existed elsewhere but coded them individually.
- Tied it together with zcml.
I think a better solution would have been this:
- Extend the ATEvent type.
- Create a utility package with code to be reused in creating batches later.
- Make the view call the utility package so you don't have to code much.
- Tie it together with zcml.
At least I get paid to maintain this code. Finally it isn't in the NASA effort.