Monday, February 13, 2012

Working on the Aú sem Mão

One of my resolutions for 2012 is to perform an Aú sem Mão/aerial/no handed cartwheel. Ideally, I would be able to do it before PyCon US, and would perform it during the Capoeira Open Space.

Speaking of the Capoeira Open Space, have you signed up yet to participate? Your skill level or athletic ability doesn't matter, just come and have fun!

How I'm training

  • Losing enough weight to make jumping easier without losing strength/endurance.
  • Practicing a lot of Capoeira. Especially on my non-workout days
Before you say, "do plyometrics!", keep in mind that Capoeira already has a lot of similar movements and I've got a tricky ankle. I've done plyometrics before and found that they caused my ankle grief. Capoeira's tight focus on smooth transitions isn't just distinctive, I think it's been good for healing what has been a problem joint for me for the past 9 years.

How I'm doing


I'm getting there.

I can do a butterfly kick badly, mostly because I don't arch my back enough. My hope is to get my head down further and my legs up higher. The end result is Aú sem Mão, right?

Why am I trying to do this?


Because I haven't done it before. And there is no time like the present. :)

No comments: