Wednesday, May 6, 2009

DC sprints location is official!

All the details can be had by following this link:

http://groups.google.com/group/NOVA-DUG/web/dc-branch-of-the-eurodjangocon-09-sprints

I'm rather excited by this event. It is the first in what I hope becomes a DC tradition of doing 'local mirrors' of python conference sprints with involvement from all the area python groups. This way, more people get to contribute, our community works better together, and the networking opportunities can abound.

On the other hand, I wish I had found more time to organize this event. And that I had found a good location inside of Washington, DC. I suspect this first effort will have a low turnout, but I won't mind being pleasantly surprised. ;)

My hope is that this year alone we might be able to exploit similar efforts in 2009 for the Euro Pycon, DjangoCon, and Plone Conferences.

With that in mind, I'm going to insist that these local mirror sprints be completely framework and tool neutral. For starters, under the hood, aren't we all just doing python? Plus, I'm of the very firm belief that any major system with initiative has things to teach, be it lessons learned or neat ideas. For example, Jacob Kaplan-Moss uses zc.buildout, which grew out of the Zope community. And while we might not have the ability to listen in on actual conference sessions, think about the chances we'll get to look at each other's tools and methods.

No comments: